Event: ASHRAE UK Midlands and RED Engineering Data Centre Training for Students
December 14 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
The main objectives of this course will be:
- Provide an overview of what a Data Centre is, what is driving the market needs and requirements, and a brief history of developments to date.
- Provide an overview of the typical considerations for siting a Data Centre and considerations at RIBA stages 0-1.
- Overview of the different mechanical and electrical systems used in a Data Centre. As an introduction for mechanical engineers new to the sector and engineers from other engineering disciplines already working in the sector.
- Understand what factors are driving growth in the Data Centre sector.
- Understand what different types of Data Centre facility there are.
- Awareness of who builds, owns and occupies them.
- Awareness and glossary of common terminology and standards in use in the industry.
- Understanding of the factors dictating the location of a Data Centre facility.
- Awareness of different construction methods and routes to market.
- An introduction to sustainability in the Data Centre sector
- Understanding of the requirements for the mechanical and electrical systems in use in a Data Centre and typical design parameters.
- Understanding of how cooling is delivered in a Data Centre.
- Awareness of the different cooling solutions and topologies that can be used and the pro’s and con’s of each.
- An understanding of the typical energy consumption breakdown between various elements of the cooling systems.
- Awareness of energy efficiency opportunities within the mechanical and electrical systems.